Switzerland
Suspended UEFA president Michel Platini arrived for what’s arguably the ‘match of his life:’ an appeal against a six-year ban from football over an allegedly irregular payment.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport in the Swiss city of Lausanne is to rule on the decision by FIFA’s ethics committee, which said the fee of nearly two million euros he received in 2011 for work done a decade earlier lacked transparency and presented conflicts of interest.
Platini appeal against six year ban heard at CAS | Sport | Reuters https://t.co/Lx1z8l5uxc pic.twitter.com/RI9AlgnBiO
— Reuters Africa (@ReutersAfrica) April 29, 2016
“If I am rehabilitated in my rights, I’ll be at Euro 2016. If I am not, I’ll listen to the commentators,” Michel Platini said.
The payment to Platini was made by FIFA with the approval of then president Sepp Blatter when he was seeking re-election. Both deny wrongdoing.
Both had eight-year bans reduced to six by FIFA’s Appeal Committee in February.
The Arbitration Court could make its decision as early as next week.
The last time the Euros was held on French soil in 1984 it was Platini who led his country to glory on the pitch.
For the Frenchman, who had been hoping to preside over this year’s tournament, it’s the last chance for what would be a highly symbolic rehabilitation.
Euronews
Go to video
500 players converge on Oslo for Homeless World Cup
01:14
Kenya's CHAN 2024 quarterfinal hosting rights at risk over fan riot
00:57
Villarreal signs Thomas Partey amid ongoing rape and sexual assault charges
01:00
AI-powered robots prepare for first World Humanoid Robot Games
01:12
EU court ruling challenges FIFA’s legal dominance, opens door to broader scrutiny across Europe
01:00
Windsurf freestyle World Cup concludes early in windy Fuerteventura